PLASTIC SURGERY CENTER OF NC
Now that you’re through your breast lift (mastopexy) surgery, it’s time to focus on your wellness during the recovery phase. To download a copy of these notes, click here.
- Do not lift more than 10lbs (or more than a gallon of milk) or perform any strenuous activities for 3-4 weeks after surgery.
- Do not swim or use a hot tub until your wounds have healed. This will be about 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- No reaching above head for 2 weeks.
- Sleep on your back, not your stomach for at least one week.
- You may shower 48-72 hours after surgery, unless instructed otherwise by your physician. No baths, as we do not want your incision submerged in water. Remove compression wraps and all dressings except any suture strips over the incision. Gently rinse with soap and water. Some areas may bleed, but this is normal and should subside quickly when dry.
- Some postoperative pain is to be expected, your pain medication may take the edge off, but you may not achieve pain free. Call the office if you have severe pain that is not relieved by pain medication.
- You may take non-aspirin pain relievers such as acetaminophen or Tylenol for lesser pain, but do not take this in addition to your prescribed pain medication (the prescription medication likely has Tylenol in it already).
- Do not use aspirin or aspirin-containing drugs (Anacin, Bufferin, Bayer, Excedrin, etc), Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen) as these medications interfere with blood clotting and may increase bleeding risks.
Reasons to Call
- Significant swelling, or swelling on only one side.
- Fever greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).
- Skin redness and warmth(hot) around your wound.
- A change in drainage color (green/yellow/thick) or foul-smelling odor.
- Pain not relieved by pain medication.
- Wear a sports bra or your surgical bra for at least 2 weeks after surgery, day and night unless instructed otherwise.
- Apply a small amount of gauze over the incisions if they are weeping fluid.
- The surgical area may have numbness for a time after surgery. Avoid using a heating pad near the surgical area to avoid burning the skin.
- Most of the stitches are dissolvable and do not need to be removed. We will assess the need to remove any stitches at your 2-3 week appointment.
If you have any concerns or questions, call us at 336-765-8620. We have a doctor on call 24 hours a day.