THE PLASTIC SURGERY CENTER OF NC
Now that you’re in the recovery phase from your labiaplasty, there are some things you’ll want to know. To download a copy of these recovery notes, click here.
- Do not lift more than 10lbs (or more than a gallon of milk) or perform any strenuous activities for 3-4 weeks after surgery.
- No intercourse or use of tampons for 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- Walk every 1-2 hours during the day to increase circulation and prevent blood clots.
- You may shower in 48 hours. No tub baths or swimming until you are healed, approximately 4 weeks.
- Some postoperative discomfort is to be expected, your pain medication may take the edge off, but you may not achieve pain free. Call the office if you have severe pain that is not relieved by pain medication.
- You may take non-aspirin pain relievers such as acetaminophen or Tylenol for lesser pain, but do not take this in addition to your prescribed pain medication (the prescription medication likely has Tylenol in it already).
- Do not use aspirin or aspirin-containing drugs (Anacin, Bufferin, Bayer, Excedrin, etc), Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen) as these medications interfere with blood clotting and may increase bleeding risks.
Reasons to Call
- Significant swelling, or swelling on only one side or severe pain.
- Fever greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).
- Skin redness around the wound or darkened/blackened skin.
- A change in drainage color (green/yellow/thick) or foul-smelling odor.
- You will have mesh panties and a sanitary napkin or ABD’s in place following surgery. Chilling the wrapped pads (place in a Ziploc bag) in the refrigerator or freezer might help to relieve discomfort.
- Most of the stitches are dissolvable and do not need to be removed. We will assess the need to remove any stitches at your 2-3 week appointment.
If you have any concerns or questions, call us at 336-765-8620. We have a doctor on call 24 hours a day.